Teaching Heart Mom

Just a Mom With a Teaching Heart. Find fun activities to do with your kiddos and students (infant to age 10). www.teachingheart.net blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

7 Habits of Happy Kids...


I enjoy reading my kids books that promote good character traits. Last year I shared Have You Filled a Bucket Today? with my son's teacher and it became a hit in his school. This year his school is focusing on, The 7 Habits of Happy Kids. After hearing about these books from my sons principal, I could hardly wait to get my hands on these books.


I was pleasantly surprised after reading this book, Just the Way I AM. It focuses on one of the seven habits, Being Proactive, "You're in Charge."

In this story, The character Pokey the Porcupine is sad because Biff Beaver is making fun of him. At first Pokey feels sad from the teasing and decides not to go to school to avoid the problem. Soon his friends try to convince him that he is fine the way he his. In his own time, Pokey decides that he likes himself the way he is. This new found confidence makes Biff the Beaver back off the teasing.

This is a great book to have on hand for the time your child runs to you and says something like, "Mom, Sally said that my teeth are funny looking!" Pull it out and read it to your child and then discuss the situation and how Pokey handled it. Your child can learn through Pokey's actions. A bonus about the book is the discussion questions in the back of the book that will get you talking with your child. Plus there is a section for the parent to read that offers helpful advice how to deal with the situation of helping your child deal with teasing. It is perfect for parents! I loved the thoughtful questions and suggestions.

Both of my kiddos (age 3 and 7) loved the book and enjoyed the cute illustrations. My oldest could read the book on his own, which is an added bonus. This book is defiantly worth buying and having on hand for the given problem, should it arise.

Need Free Bucket Filling Ideas and Printables? Go to:
http://www.teachingheart.net/bucket.html


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely need to get these books and the bucket book. Any idea who would have the best deal going?

Jen S.

September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home