Teaching Heart Mom

Just a Mom With a Teaching Heart. Find fun activities to do with your kiddos and students (infant to age 10). www.teachingheart.net blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

She Swallowed a Chick?

 


We love all the old lady book, from There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bell! to There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!. Each "old lady" book is similar in text pattern, but each story is loved and adored by kids ages three to eight. They are always wondering what in the world the old lady will swallow next and why in the world would she swallow the things she does. In this book, the hungry old lady swallows a chick, some straw, an egg, some candy, a basket, and a bow! The patterns of the text makes it easy for a non-reader to follow along and it is easy enough for an early reader to read. This would make a great addition to a child's Easter Basket or a fabulous gift from a classroom teacher to their students before spring break.

One of my favorite activities to use with these books is to create an old lady with some free printables and an apron.  Like the one I made below.

Above is one I created using a child's apron found at Michael's Craft store. The printables come from KizClub. Click here for the link to the printable. I printed, laminated, and then hot glued the lady to the apron. I would suggest you make a few of these and have your students retell the story using the vests.


To print the image below that match the The Old Who Swallowed a Chick, click here. Print and cut out the graphics to use with the old lady above after reading the story! You child can wear the old lady and retell the story. 




Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Thanks so much for the printable to go with the Chick book. I love these books as well. I make my old lady a little differently so that each student in my class gets an "old lady". Check out this post to see how I make mine. Thanks again! I love your blog!!

http://jmteachertalk.blogspot.com/2009/03/old-lady-sequence-activity.html

March 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger jewelrybyrebecca said...

I remember you showed us this story. What a great idea to have the apron to go with it.

March 9, 2010 at 5:13 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

That is awesome! Thank you!

March 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home